Sunday 18 May 2008

Miss Lucy's corner!



Well I guess now would be a good time for introductions; I’m Miss Lucy, and in each issue, I’m going to share with you my views on fashion, music and culture. And believe me, I have one or two opinions so I’m sure we’re never going to run out of things to talk about. I love hearing your opinions so please, comment or email any feedback you have on what I write or what I have to say – healthy debate is always welcomed but, as our beloved Editor Miss E has already made you aware – no haters please.

I’m starting off our relationship with a real borderline subject that I’m sure (and hope!) will spark some debate. As you must all by now be aware, Estelle hit number 1 in the charts, knocking off white female vocalists like Duffy and Adele. Now hold on 2 secs before you start jumping on me because I said “white”. There’s a point to all this. I understand and appreciate that Estelle’s initial argument was not about black and white, or race in any way, shape or form. However, following a comment about vocalists like Adele and Duffy singing “soul” music, and having to go to the US to be appreciated in the best way, Estelle followed up with the interesting statement, and I quote: “As a songwriter, I get what they do. As a black person, I’m like: you’re telling me this is my music? F*** that!”.


Photobucket



Now correct me if I’m wrong (and I’m sure there will be those of you that think I am), but to me, that sounds like a blatantly race-related comment. Why does soul have to be “my” music – implicitly implying that soul music is “black” music? Now here’s the funny thing about it all. Personally, I wouldn’t call what Adele and Duffy do “soul” music either. I think that vocalists like the aforementioned, along with the Amy Winehouse’s of our world, don’t fit a particular genre of music. I think one of the reasons that those artists are so popular is that their music spans several genres, immediately making them more accessible to more target audiences and, ergo, more successful. But equally, I was surprised and disappointed to hear Estelle’s comment. It doesn’t say much about the progress that we are all trying hard to make in breaking down racial boundaries within the music industry, does it?

Okay, gripe number two is more of a question to be fair. What do we think of Mariah Carey’s new single, Touch My Body? I was really excited to hear about her being “back on the scene”, as it were, but I’ve got to be honest with you, I was a little disappointed. It’s a “good” song, but honestly and seriously, if she wasn’t who she is, would you rush out and buy it? I saw her perform on TV the other night, and it was just same old same old – Mariah with a low cut black dress and perfect hair. It’s kinda boring, don’t you think? When you compare her to artists like Madonna (okay, not a vocal comparison), there IS no comparison. Madonna is a musical chameleon – every single brings a new image and a new slant. Okay Mariah has the voice of an angel, but there’s no growth, no change, no revolution. I just feel that in this day and age, you can’t just be a good voice – it’s not enough. What do you think?

Photobucket



So, now you want to know what’s hot this month, right? Well, who can not love these sneakers? I say ‘sneakers’ as opposed to ‘trainers’ because these are a truly American product.

Photobucket



Marc Ecko began designing in the mid-80s and now has 12 separate (hott!) apparel lines, a video game AND a multi-media entertainment division! So the man definitely knows what he’s doing. His unique footwear (and many other styles) can be found at http://www.shopecko.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3045308&cp=2933875.3065975&parentPage=family (or http://www.shopecko.com/) for the bargain price of $64.99 (which is around £50).

Music-wise, it’s hard to know where to start when it comes to what’s hot. The UK has some serious talent – which I’m sure the discerning Intrigue readers are already aware of. I scoured myspace and have found the most incredible vocalist that I know you are going to love.


Photobucket


Rox hails from South London and, after a “reinvention” break in Mexico, is back in the UK making seriously sexy, theatrical, jazzy music. Her vocals are soulful, heartfelt, fresh, and most of all FUN. With a string of live performances under her belt, including singing Valerie for Mark Ronson, this is a young lady we should all be looking out for. You can take a listen at www.myspace.com/roxmusik, and there will be a full interview with the lady herself in Issue 5 – so watch this space!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tru wot your sayin! you go girl!