Sunday 18 May 2008

In Conversation with Waterboy! By E.J

Photobucket






We caught up with Roots Entertainment's Waterboy! let's hear what he had to say.





Intrigue: Introduce yourself to the readers



Waterboy: What’s good everyone? I go by the name of Waterboy, I’m 21 and I’m a rapper from north London! I’m Part of the most talented group of hip hop artists in the UK, Roots Ent. You’re definitely gonna be hearing a lot from us in the future!



Intrigue: Tell us how long you been rapping and when did you first decide you that music was what you wanted to do?





Waterboy: I’ve always had a way with words and when I was younger I was always making up little comedic rhymes. But about 2 years my friend took me to a studio in someone’s house round the corner and I started to make full tracks. After a while I started to notice that I was improving so rapidly that it got to the point where I felt that I was as good as the rappers who I like to listen to. I guess it was at that point that I really decided that music was what I wanted to do with my life!






Intrigue: Who are your musical influences?





Waterboy: I try not to see myself as a rapper but more as a musical artist and I’m therefore influenced by a wide range of musicians. I love listen to other rappers like 2pac, Mos Def, Wretch 32 & Nas as well as other artists such as Bob Marley, Amy Winehouse and even Coldplay or Nirvana. But I would have to say that I get most of my inspiration from other members of Roots Ent, I mean just being around the likes of Gee, Ram and Shokka inspires me to better myself as an artist!






Intrigue: Who would you most like to work with in the industry?





Waterboy: I’ve got a lot of ratings for the Movement at the moment & I’d definitely like to cook something up with them in the future. I’d also love to work with a really soulful female vocalist, someone like Amy Winehouse or Leona Lewis! I think I would also enjoy creating something unique with someone like Jools Holland who could bring something completely different to the table.



Intrigue: Give us a rundown on your current musical projects





Waterboy: At the moment I’m currently putting the finishing touches to my first proper mixtape “Quench Your Thirst”. In total there’s gonna be 21 tracks on there, and believe me you need to kop that, cos I went IN!!! I’m also doing a lot of groundwork and networking at the moment to try and make a name for myself within the industry. & I’m also doing the odd show to promote myself to a wider audience.



Intrigue: If you had to name one UK hip hop or grime underground artist that you think is going to be the next big thing who would that be? (apart from yourself that is) and why do you think they will be the next big thing in the industry?





Waterboy: I don’t wanna single any one person from Roots Ent cos I think there’s a few of us who deserve to blow, so instead I’ll go for someone else. I would really like to see ghetto break into the mainstream, I think he’s a brilliant lyricist and his flow is just overly mental! If he can drop another mixtape or album on the same level as Ghetto Gospel, then I don’t see how he can’t make it past the underground scene.



Intrigue: Do you write all your own lyrics? And if so what inspires you to put pen to pad?





Waterboy: Yeah I write all my own lyrics, I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I didn’t! In my eyes any rapper who doesn’t write their own lyrics doesn’t deserve to touch mic! Everything around me inspires me to write, I can’t go a day without writing even if it’s just to get some shit off my chest!



Intrigue: How would you describe your music?





Waterboy: I ’d describe my music as a breakthrough in UK rap! I don’t wanna sound too cocky but I really do think I’m that good. I’m a very lyrical rapper & I like to use some seriously messed concepts! Basically, you’ll like my music if you’re a fan of real hip hop!


Photobucket






Intrigue: Tell us where you see your music taking you in the next 5 years ?








Waterboy: If I grind properly, then in 5 years time I would aim to be well respected as an artist, not just in London but nationwide and ideally in other countries too. I would like to have released my first full album by then and also have collaborated with a number of other artists. I would also like to break into other areas of the entertainment industry. For example I have recently been writing a couple of movie scripts and would love for them to go into production.



Intrigue: Do you think UK so called urban music is ever going to reach the status of the


American industry?





Waterboy: I personally don’t think UK urban music will ever flourish properly until we stop comparing ourselves to artists from the states, we’re different and we need to embrace that! We also need a lot of people within the industry to start showing some love to some more UK artists, I mean how many British rappers have ever won a MOBO, it’s ridiculous!



Intrigue: Will you be performing anywhere in the next few months?





Waterboy: I will be performing a verse for Gee at his performance in Clapham on the 15th May. I plan to start performing more often later in the year when I start to properly promote my mixtape!




Intrigue: Penultimately anyone you would like to shout out in this interview



Waterboy: I’d like to give a big shout out to all the Roots Ent man, watch out for “Positive State of Mind”, “Hit & Run” and “Don’t be so Shocked” from Gee, Ram and shokka! & also nuff love to EJ and everyone else at intrigue doing their thing to support the UK scene!



Intrigue: Lastly where can we find out more info about waterboy?





Waterboy: If you wanna find out anything else about me check out my MySpace page www.myspace.com/waterboytg. Listen to the tracks and don’t be too shy to holla, I’ll always get back to you!

3 comments:

Waterboy said...

What's up EJ, safe for all the love, much appreciated, keep supporting! And to all the readers, make sure u check out my myspace www.myspace.com/waterboytg
Big up Intrigue!
Big up Roots Ent!

Miss Intrigue said...

Lovin waterboy!!! keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

hi intrigue magazine this the first time i have read this magazine and i really like it. waterboy i enjoyed your music so keep it up yep yep!! michelle